CONSERVATIVE VOICES WITH AN EDGE

WE ARE CONSERVATIVE! WE SPEAK THE TRUTH IN A PRACTICAL AND HONEST FORMAT. WE ACCEPT COMMENTS FROM ALL WALKS OF LIFE AND FROM ALL PEOPLE - JUST LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. OPEN THE MIND AND USE THIS FORUM TO BEGIN THE AWAKENING.

Open Your Mind and Mouth

Open Your Mind and Mouth

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Slow Death of Hollywood - Get Out The Ribbons

Many times I attempt to tackle social issues on this blog as well (see Bathroom Etiquette and articles on Christmas below). I am driven lately to again discuss the degradation of our society, but this time from a celebrity standpoint. I am saddened (although not surprised) to hear about Heath Ledger's death last week. It is a shame to see a life so blessed and talented be washed away at such an early age. I am reminded of others, River Phoenix, John Belushi, Chris Farley, whose lives are finished because of the poor choices they make and their sub-culture makes. Health Ledger was a young father and actor (and I name those traits in that order even though he forgot to be the first first) who leaves a daughter, many loving family friends, and millions of fans in want for more. This because he was unwilling to deal with an addiction in a way that can assist in the resolution of poor habits. It is revealed today that Michelle Williams, mother of his child, attempted to get him into rehab for his continued drug addictions - although at the time his drug of choice was cocaine and heroin. Heath refused with a promise to stop the abuse. Well he may have stopped the cocaine and heroin, but the prescription drugs continued. We even learned that he may have died from an overdose of over-the-counter sleep medication. His death is tragis but the responsibility is his as well.

So I say to Hollywood - wear the black ribbons all you want. Make statements of regret and loss until you are blue in the face. Give accolades to a fallen companion forever. It will never be enough until as a society you embrace a culture of cleanliness, or morality, or marriage, of commitment, of loyalty. There are those out there who possess this, but I am afraid that too many of you in Hollywood embrace the opposite. Look at Brittany, Lindsay, Paris just to name a few. They sell sex, drugs, immorality.

Maybe the rest of the world, the conservative world that is, the ones who have morals, believe in something other than sex and self, should wear a ribbon on our lapels to champion the cause of resurrecting Hollywood. You all have your causes - now we have our's; Hollywood is slowly dying with greed, sex, drugs, money, and immorality. Our lapels say that we want more Musicals, more Romantic comedies without explicit sex and drug use (what happened to Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks), give us the black and whites back, the Pillow Talks, South Pacifics! Heck, give us more Moulon Rouge, Highschool Musical, and Hairspray (which was stupid). Maybe if enough of us wore ribbons for Hollywood then there would be a change in their behavior. Just maybe.

3 comments:

emily, etc, etc said...

Bravo! Maybe we sould start wearing ribbons. I like musicals. Although what color would it be... most have already been taken. I guess there is always brown or even tye-dye. Hey that would be cool - it could be brown tye-dye. Wait, has green been used? I like green. Seriously though, I think we should start pushing this. Let's rock the celebrity world!

Anonymous said...

I have to admit Tacit voice, that you make a very valid point here. I too am disgusted with the drugs and immorality of Hollywood. Unfortunetly, it isn't something that is new. Think about Marilyn and all the others 50 years ago that had problems with drugs!! It's a very sad world that these people live in and a very fake one where there is no reality and a complete feeling of being invincable. I would love to see more family friendly movies. Some of my favorites in my own movie collection are "pride and prejudice" (the A&E version with Collin Firth) "pillow talk" and "seven brides for seven brothers". I love those Doris Day movies and have said for years that they should be remade just as they are, but updated; include the songs and all - they are classics and I do believe strongly that the world would love them. I think that we should boycott all the crap that Hollywood puts out continually! Who needs all the sex and violence that they say sells the movies. I disagree! Enchanted was the number 1 selling movie for weeks and SO great!!! I for one loved it and so did my kids and will be buying it the second I can. I am all for your idea of a ribbon that gets Hollywood off their drug infused asses to make some good old fashioned Doris Day, Rock Hudson, Bing and Danny movies. Get it going my politically motivated friend.

Anonymous said...

Hey - good thinking! It's sad that these are the role models for our kids and I think it's high time that it is changed. I agree with "anonymous" and "emily". We need better movies and tv for that matter. Good luck with that.